Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Marcellus Shale: Chesapeake CHK Sells to StatoilHydro

Chesapeake Energy Corporation ( CHK ) Announces Marcellus Shale Joint Venture and International Unconventional Natural Gas Exploration Alliance with StatoilHydro, Today, 11/11/08.

Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK) today announced the execution of an agreement for a joint venture with StatoilHydro (STO) whereby StatoilHydro will acquire a 32.5% interest in Chesapeake's Marcellus Shale assets in Appalachia for $3.375 billion, leaving Chesapeake with a 67.5% working interest. The assets include approximately 1.8 million net acres of leasehold, of which StatoilHydro will own approximately 0.6 million net acres and Chesapeake will own approximately 1.2 million net acres.

StatoilHydro will pay $1.25 billion in cash at closing and will pay a further $2.125 billion from 2009 to 2012 by funding 75% of Chesapeake's 67.5% share of drilling and completion expenditures until the $2.125 billion obligation has been funded. Chesapeake plans to continue acquiring leasehold in the Marcellus Shale play and StatoilHydro will have the right to a 32.5% participation in any such additional leasehold.

Additionally, Chesapeake and StatoilHydro have agreed to enter into an international strategic alliance to jointly explore unconventional natural gas opportunities worldwide. Closing of the transaction and strategic alliance is anticipated to occur by year-end 2008.

For more shale updates, visit, http://blackberrystocks.blogspot.com/