Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Additives for Hydraulic Fracturing - Questerre Energy Corp.

By Andrea:

Questerre Energy Corporation (QEC) is the first company in Québec to publicly disclose the additives that it uses in its hydraulic fracturing operations.

The information includes the typical concentration of the additive, the main compounds in the additives and the specific and common uses of the compounds. On average, Questerre has used nine of these highly diluted additives that amount to 0.12% of the total fluid used with the remaining 99.88% made up of water and sand. This is less than typical industry concentrations of 0.5%. The information is available on the Company's website at

"Questerre is committed to operating in an environmentally responsible and socially acceptable manner," said Michael Binnion, President and Chief Executive Officer of Questerre Energy. "Making the composition of our frac fluids available to the public is just one of the ways we are working to respect the social acceptability of shale gas development in Quebec."

Hydraulic fracturing operations in the Utica shale are conducted at a minimum depth of 1000 metres below the fresh water zones in Quebec. This fresh water is separated from the frac fluids by several layers of steel casing and high quality cement. The highly diluted additives are carefully managed and are commonly found in household products.
"Producing natural gas from Quebec's Utica Shale presents an extraordinary opportunity for Quebec. Billions of dollars in royalties, local employment of over 7500 jobs and the repatriation of the 2 billion dollars that Quebec currently sends to western Canada each year are just a few of the benefits," said Binnion. "Myths from US based political groups which are also used as a source of information by environmental groups in Quebec should not prevent Quebecers from benefiting from this opportunity."

In its ongoing commitment to transparency, Questerre also recently released a video that explains the process of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing.

For more shale updates, visit:

For more stock updates, visit: